I got bored this afternoon and took some time to whip up some nice healthy muffins, as you can see above. Typically I freeze them and then enjoy them microwaved daily over the course of a couple of weeks. I haven’t made this in a while. They are indeed tasty treats. They usually turn out moist enough that you won’t need butter. They don’t really have the consistency of store bought muffins, as they are a little moister than that. I guess you could hold back a 1/4 cup of the apple sauce if you like your muffins drier. Here’s the recipe:
1 cup rolled oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon salt
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
1 egg (lightly beaten)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup frozen blueberries
1 cup frozen cranberries
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Grease muffin cups or use paper muffin liners.
- In a large bowl, mix the dry ingredients. In another bowl, mix the wet ingredients, except the berries.
- Mix wet and dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Chop the frozen cranberries into smaller pieces.
- Fold in the cranberries and whole blueberries into batter.
- Scoop into muffin cups.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 minutes, or until tops spring back when lightly tapped. To test for doneness, insert toothpick and if it comes out clean the muffins are ready.